Best Pinterest Belly Workout

We’ve all seen the pins… “10 minutes to sexy abs,” “drink this to get a flat tummy in two weeks,” or “stop eating this to lose your stomach bulge.” These are the pins, and frankly the bloggers, you should IGNORE.

A flat stomach does not happen in 10 minutes or by a drink. Nor do I believe that simply dropping something out of your diet will give you the perfect abs. All these things are helpful towards a goal of a lovely flat midsection BUT they are not the answer.

The answer, my friends, is cold hard work.

Committed work.

Persistent work.

Which reminds me of a Proverbs…Committed and persistent work pays off. Proverbs 28:20 (MSG)

Back to the killer ab workout. Forty minutes of jumping, crunching, and sweating. I tried it out for a week straight. It was excruciating the first few days but I could actually feel myself getting stronger. And everyday I challenged myself to work harder during the workout. I was pleasantly surprised by the aftermath of my self-made ab challenge.

But before I tell you, I need to rewind a sec. I forgot to tell you guys that I am no Victoria Secret model and I’m not one of those lucky people with genes where they don’t gain weight to their bellies. Nope. I’m just a regular gal. A mom at that. And I do gain weight to my belly!

But, being a mom isn’t the reason I have the pooch. I’ve had it as long as I can remember. In fact, I used to believe I’ll always have it. I bet you believe that too. Well, just stop it!

Really. I mean it. Stop it right there! Don’t believe the lie that you’ll never lose the pooch any more than the lie that there is one simple “trick” to get rid of it.

Remember…Committed and persistent work pays off. Proverbs 28:20 (MSG)

You can get rid of that belly. But you have to do hard workouts! You have to workout more often than not. You have to eat healthy and you have to rest.

So back to the workout I’m going to share with you. First of all, it came from a great website Skinny Ms. This particular post for was a HIIT AB Workout.

I did this workout for 7 straight days and noticed a change in my belly by Day 5. Maybe it is in my head but either way I felt great about myself.

A HIIT workout, or High Intensity Interval Training, is an excellent workout to make drastic changes in your body. During the workout you are to push yourself as fast and as hard as you can during each interval. In between these intervals you get a 15-second break when you rest and allow your heart rate to come down. Then you do it again and again.

You are essentially confusing your body so that it doesn’t know when to store and burn calories. Because of this your body will continue to work hard after your workout. A good HIIT workout will keep your body burning calories for a whole 24 hours after your workout. Thus, making HIIT workouts one of the most effective ways to quickly change your body. (Here’s a free High-Intensity Interval Training 10 minute workout you can slip into any day.)

Are you wondering if one week of doing this workout gave me the perfect set of flat abs I’ve always dreamed of? Of course not! You guys, I am not going to lie to you and tell you that you can make that happen in one week. Unless your stomach is already on the verge of washboard abs, it just doesn’t happen that quick! Here’s what the workout did for me:

It made a significant change in my waist. The pooch was smaller and tighter and I was stronger. I felt so much more confident about myself and isn’t that the point?! I didn’t do this workout for a week so that I would finally like what I see in the mirror. I did it to improve myself which is a never ending journey!!

This workout is extremely challenging and that is the point! I believe in this workout so much that I still go back to it occasionally. I tweaked the original workout to be more effective for me and you should do the same for yourself but try to stay true to the intent of the workout.

Your gut won’t be gone after doing this workout once, twice, or maybe even ten times. It takes a commitment to work hard and (wait for it) persistence to get results.

Ab Blaster

Check out my adapted workout from Skinny Ms. So hard it will kill you but so good it will CHANGE you.

Do each move for 45 seconds, working as hard as you can, then rest for 15 seconds. I highly recommend downloading a free HIIT timer and plugging the workout in.

Jumping Jacks: jump feet together and apart as the arms go from down at your sides to above your head

Bicycle Crunches: hands behind head as you lie on the floor on your back; lift legs off the floor and bring left knee and right elbow in toward one another then extend back to starting position; repeat, alternating sides

Flutter Kicks: laying on your back with hands behind head or under your seat; lift legs off the floor with feet flexed; quickly alternate your legs up and down, only about a foot’s distance.

Russian Twists: sit in boat pose with toes resting on the ground or hovering above it; keep hands together as you twist to one side from the shoulders, then twist to the other back and forth

High Knees: run in place with knees in front of you, bringing them as high as you can

Figure 4 Leg Lifts: lay down on your back, bring right ankle to left knee (forming what looks like the number 4 with your legs); crunch the legs into the upper body and lower back down; repeat for the entire interval; switch sides for the next interval

Plank Toe Touches: starting in plank position tap left foot out to the left and bring back to starting position, tap right foot out to the right; continue alternating sides

If you need a video of these moves go to the Skinny Ms Abs H.I.I.T. Workout page.

Helpful Products (affiliate links)

This is the exact ankle brace that I wore when recovering from my last ankle injury.  There is a lot of jumping in this routine so you have to be preventative! (Learn more about my ankle injuries here.)

This is a postnatal recovery tool. Moms – a girdle will not get your tummy teeny again. This is a tool to help you remember to engage those weak abdominal muscles while you do this workout.

Lastly, the Skinny Ms 6 week emergency makeover plan. I have not done this program, as I mainly do my own workouts, but I think she has great workouts and recipes and recommend her fully for anyone looking to make quick changes to their body.

Here is a super easy habit that will kick start your metabolism and get your body healthy quick:

lemon water

Women's Running Community

33 comments

1. nicky says:

Omg can u please help me out I am In need and I not exactly in shape could you please share some ideas and how long would it take

2. Callie says:

Hi Nicky,

Getting in shape takes dedication and effort but anyone can do it. Exercising once a day, anywhere from 20-60 minutes will get you on track. How long it takes just depends on how often you exercise, how hard (so what type of exercising), and if you are eating clean.
    I have a bunch of good articles on here to help you! Check out my “10 minute full body high intensity interval training workout,” “best workout videos,” and “my path to clean eating” for a start on some of those things. Also, go ahead and sign up for my email and you’ll get these articles directly on your inbox.

You can do it girl!
    Callie

• Callie says:

Yessss. So glad you did the workout Jen! What day are you on?
      I decided to do this 7 day challenge again and just completed Day 3. I think I might die.
      Keep up the hard work!
      Callie

3. Jim says:

I am 55 and am searching for good, uncomplicated exercise ideas, food, faith, and most of all, mindfulness. My wife is also looking for yhis.

I am very impressed by your website, but I am curious as to whether or not your ideas are adaptable for men?

Thank you!

• Callie says:

Absolutely, they are adaptable for men! I gear things towards women because I am a woman and a mom and most of my audience are women. However, this workout is killer no matter who you are. It melts fat and builds abdominal muscles quickly. I would love to know what you think about this workout after trying it. I challenge you and your wife to try this workout together. It will be a bonding experience and you can motivate each other to get through it. I loved doing it with my little sister, I worked much harder because I had “an audience!” Good luck!

4. Marija says:

Thanks for a great and informative post! I always say HIIT workouts everywhere, but never really new what it stood for. I will have to give the workout a try!,

5. Andrea says:

Callie, this article is very inspiring for me, and I am going to try to be more dedicated to working out than ever, because I am so tired of being overweight.

6. pranaya says:

Do i have to do this every day or alternative days?
    And will this really work because I am seriously tried from complianing about my weight and it really hurts when all my friends wear fancy dresses and I can’t do anything but adore them while they wear short dresses!! 🙁

• Callie says:

this workout will certainly help you on your way to achieving your health goals! However, it takes more than doing this workout every other day or even every day. you have to eat healthy as well. When you stop eating things that are bad for you, start eating healthy “God-made” foods, and incorporate more physical activity into your day, then you will begin to see changes and they wil begin to be lasting changes. This particular workout is one I found to be challenging and show quick results on my body. It is a tool on your journey to lasting health!

• Callie says:

Gaby, one time a day is a great amount for this workout. Being consistent (staying active daily) and eating healthy are the best ways to improve your health. we all get eager for changes but we also need to allow our bodies time to recover in between workouts! If you want to get the most out of this workout then complete the four circuits and do and many reps as you can during the intervals.
      You can do it!

7. Tammy says:

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience! I’m going to try the HIIT workout for a week and see what happens!! Great article!
    Tammy

• Callie says:

Jill, if you have a phone or computer that you can add apps to then you can just search “a hiit interval timer.” That is the one I use and it’s free!

8. Sativun says:

A faithful man will abound with blessings, But he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.Proverbs 28:20

• Callie says:

From The Message Bible Proverbs 28:20 says “committed and presistent works pays off, get rich schemes are rip-offs.”

This one speaks to me about the marathon that getting healthy is. For me, it is staying committed to my program and persevering. I am relating getting rich quick to losing weight quick. It’s just unlikely. You have to be committed and persistent to get where you need to be!

• Callie says:

This routine is great once a week to compliment and mix up from your regular routine but you can do it every day as your some workout for faster results. It’s really up to you and your body.

9. Sidra says:

Hello callie i wanted to know i am a mon of 2 kids and age 33 and both babies from ceaserian my last c section was on july 2017 so can i do these above mentioned exercises as i have 70kg weight height 5.3 so how i can shed 10kg weight pls help me

• Callie says:

First, you need your doctor to clear you for exercising. Ask them about anything specific exercises you should about due to c-section. You had a major surgery! You have to take that seriously and be cautious when getting back to exercising!
      Once you do get cleared then I suggest taking it slow. Do this routine the times a week but do it at about 50% effort until you feel stronger.
      After each of my three babies it has taken up to a year and a half before I can do a 45 minute workout, mostly because of time constraints. So shortening the workout is an option as well!
      Send me an email if you’d like more specific help!